Total Pageviews

Friday, October 15, 2010

So, I thought I'd take my little magic pill, Ambien then sit down and update the blog.  Hahahaha!  Picture me waking up hours later with keyboard prints on my face... Wow.  That stuff works well and, fast

Needless to say, I rested last night and I was able to do so, not only thanks to my little helper, but mainly due to my bigger one!  God has continued to work a miracle in Thomas while I stand there, as do most of the medical staff, wide eyed in wonder.  While its still a little too close for me to hear/think about/understand.... several people including doctors and his ICU nurses now tell me they never thought he would make it through the weekend.  My stomach turns every time I say that or now, write it.  It hurts to really put that out there, but, again ... if I am going to use this blog as it was intended then I have to paint the clearest picture I can of exactly how powerful our mighty Father is! 

A week ago today, we started our wild, ambulance guided tour through Memphis that ended at The Med.  Last Friday night was just a horrible night for so many reasons.... but after he came out of surgery, I saw him and talked to (what seemed like) every employee AT the med, we came home, after repeated warnings not to stay there, to try and regroup/rest.  Well, rest wouldn't come of course.  I say it felt like I couldn't be still in my own skin... just horror and panic combined with helplessness.  It comes in waves just like it would if you were standing in the ocean.  Thankfully, God sent angels of mercy disguised as my family and friends to sit with me. 

I wanted to call to check on him but was terrified to do so at the same time.  Finally, I got the strength.  The desk clerk just said , harshly, "He's critical!"  and would give me no more information.  (grrrrrrrrrrr.  I'm praying over my feelings about her!)

About 3 hours later, his actual nurse called me.  The worst sound in the world is your phone ringing in the night, even if you aren't asleep.  Your stomach still lurches.  On the other end was Veronica, the first in his series of about 7 angel nurses that as cared for my Thomas.  She had much better 'bed side' (phone side?) manner and told me that he was awake!  What?  She was as surprised as I was.  What a fighter he is!  But, she said I could come see him if I wanted to.  Mom, Beth and I left about 3:00 a.m to go.  Per my request, Veronica was on T.s duty the next night too.  That was Saturday night. 

Veronica was back on duty yesterday for the first time since Saturday night.  When I came in she hugged me and whispered that even with all her experience in the Trauma ICU, she was so afraid to look in his room for fear he was no longer there.   To God be the Glory, or as T and one of his best friends end every email H.I.O.T.T.... (He Is On The Throne)  Tom Mullins WAS still in that room with a heavenly host of angels crowded around him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom had his first day off yesterday!  It was a vacation day from surgery.  He slept as though he'd never slept before in his life.  Praise God again... there was no better sight than walking in that room and just seeing his face (normal sized again) sound asleep, even peaceful looking.  Yesterday's nurse, Yolanda, calls him "Sleeping Beauty"... he's gonna wish I didn't print that (among other things I'm sure) Sorry, honey!!

Later,  I am going to speak a little more about the events of yesterday outside of Tom's actual condition but related to the whole 'deal'...  What I have to share then is the unspeakable blessing I had by having T's two best friends from childhood here at my side.  I've had my friends and both our families too and couldn't make it with out any of you and you all fall into this category.   But, I have to address that having B (Brad) and Stew (Shannon) with me every step for the last I-have-lost-track-of-days was as closest to having TMullins with me.  The lifted me up, they gently advised me, they helped me laugh, the let me cry endlessly, they let me repeat myself over and over.... they let me RUN them around Germantown like mad men while trying to catch the pertinent parts of two football games and Mary-Carter's homecoming.  They videoed it all for their friend.  They had patience that had no end.  They came on a moments notice from Atlanta (Shannon drove all night) and from Dallas (Brad caught a flight with in hours of hearing) .... Its like the man version of Beaches! :)  I can't make it through any of this without adding a levity here and there but, they are the Wind Beneath My (husband's) Wings.  And, oh are they going to have a great time ribbing him about it all later. 

There are so many things I would love to say and will at some point... I need longer to think about them. Its harder to update this than I thought.  Just hard to know what to say or how.   Most of all, I still can't come up with the words to thank you for your overwhelming support.  You all know that it is hard to accept, not at all because I don't want it but ... just... I don't know, just because.  However, thankfully you are all overiding me because it has been a total God send and you've filled needs I would have never asked to be filled.  (Still.... no one I KNOW better clean this house.  I will, and I promise with all I have in me, I will KILL you!:):):))

HUMBLING doesn't touch what it is to receive and accept these helps.  Its a lesson for me ... I've heard before if you don't let people "do" you are robbing them of the blessing.  So, alright already! :)  I'm taking deep breaths and letting you 'do'....  I pray that God blesses you for it and through it as He has me.  I love you all.

Just got a call... he's headed back.  Surgery number 7 or 8.  We prayed together and I'll be wating on him we he comes out of the OR.   HIOTT....

4 comments:

  1. Again, weeping. Love you girl. Your strength, in itself, is an example of God's love. Thank you for taking the time to let all of us who care, into your heart...I can't imagine having to update this. Someday, this will be a treasure you will be able to share with T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning at prayer, our boys were just a little late, being of course the boys that they are. When Reed walked up he said something to the effect of "I have never seen so many people here to pray." If the measure of a family was in the lives it touches and who answers the call on their behalf, then the Mullins family is certainly a family that measures up. Being the number guy I tend to be, I considered for a moment counting when we broke up, but I knew it would be impossible to count that many before they were all jumbled up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humbled, just humbled. And as touched as I am by your words, Mr. C... it is to the glory of God. We are so blessed to see Him glorified. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, the Walenta family continues to pray and I wish more than anything we could be there to hug y'all! But please know that we are with you in Spirit even if we can't be there physically. God is an AWESOME GOD...amazing how sometimes it takes times like these to make us all see it. Y'all are a true testament and I know that Mary Carter and Reed's lives have been enriched by all this as have anyone who has even heard y'alls story, even if they have never met y'all. I put a big prayer request on my facebook page with a small summary of what T has been going through and the outpouring of prayers has been incredible. Even if somebody did not write anything, I have people coming up on a daily basis asking me about him and telling me they are praying for y'all. So, people you have never met are lifting y'all up as well. We can't say enough prayers, that is for sure. Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete